While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt
We happened to go when a summer camp full of First Grade kids were there. My son held my hand when I asked (and when I didn't), waited his turn, said 'excuse me' (or 'scmoo me!') if he wanted a turn, and appropriately told a woman who tried to open the butterfly's wings (pictured above) that, "NO! DON'T TOUCH!" - after I'd reminded him not to as well.
I have marveled this week at my child. He's been absolutely a stitch to be around. He's obedient and funny and sweet and kind. He really has such a great personality, and in the last few weeks, it's coming through. I am really quite proud of who he is becoming.
I was sick with a headache on Monday night. I was lying on the couch, with my head propped up by a towel. Bug came by and yanked out the towel. I started to get really upset with him, and he patted my head, put HIS treasured blankie down over my head, gave my arm a kiss, and said, "There, Mommy. You ALL better now!". (He also reminded me to 'go see the doctor' and 'drink water'!)
I would have cried if I could have.
I am so geuinely proud of him and who he is becoming. I know he'll grow up faster than I'd like. I am his best buddy right now. When he had lunch together at the Diner, he wanted to sit next to me. We shared a coke, had french fries, and colored. It was a perfect date.
And I'm sure I'll be left wondering how it went so fast, and remembering what it was like 'back then' - and I hope when I do think back, I remember these moments. And my god, how I hope he stays sweet.
Every day is asks me, "Mommy, do you love The Bug?" and I say, "Of course! I love you and will forever and forever".
And then I hug him, and kiss him, and hope my love carries him forever.
"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~John W. Whitehead, The Stealing of America, 1983
Labels: love thursday, the bug and mommy

Love Thursday: Butterflies and Bugs



