Bug had a great first week of Preschool. When I dropped him off the first day, he informed me, "It's okay, you go now". So I did. With no tears on either end. It was quite nice to know I was leaving him in a safe place. The only moment of upset came when he learned he didn't, after all, get to ride on the school bus.
I used to ride the school bus. I remember the day when my Bus Driver came to introduce himself at my house. I distinctly remember seeing this man on my front steps, my mom making polite conversation, and my little toddler brother (who had been in the bath) went streaking out the front door completely butt ass naked. My mom was horrified.
I remember being getting on the bus on the first day of Kindergarten, and sitting directly behind the Bus Driver's daughter. Her name was Judy. I remember thinking she had the most beautiful, long blonde hair of anyone I'd ever seen in my entire life (knocked those girls in the Breck commercial right off their pedestal). And man, she smelled SO GOOD! I wanted to be in high school right there and then.
Years later, my brother got to ride on the Bus (clothed). I remember him having a lot of trouble sitting down and staying put. On one occasion, I remember our Bus Driver yelling out, "Sit down, or I'll hit the brakes so hard you'll be wrapped around the gear shift!". I still think that's hysterical.
There's something to be said for riding a country school bus. You hit every single rut there is on a road. You bounce around. You get to know your neighbors. You tell stories about your day. You fight with your siblings, and on complete accident, kick them in the balls (really, total accident). The last day of school, you get FULL SIZE CANDY BARS and are free until September.
A complete and total right of passage.
I know eventually my son will ride a big yellow school bus somewhere. But, I admit, it kind of bums me out that he won't have the same experience I had of waiting outside in the driveway, back pack on, hearing the bus rumbling down the the county road.
Labels: memories, the bug and mommy

The Bug and School Buses



