My dad was a huge football fan, specifically for the CSU Rams (as he played for them) or the Denver Broncos. My earliest memories of my father are sitting next to him, me in the little yellow rocking chair, him in the big chair, watching the football game on a television with crappy reception.
When I got older, he had tickets to the games he shared with some other guys from our town. They would trade-off, and when our name came up, dad would either take myself or my little brother, and if the other two tickets came up, we'd go as a family. On one occasion, I remember leaving the stadium, my dad leading the way and me holding his hand. Someone from our left got back and someone to our right, jumped between us and I got lost in the crowd. I saw my dad push, shove, yell and force his way back to me. I don't remember the words he said to those men, but I'm sure they weren't pretty.
But back to football ... my dad loved the Broncos. He died before Elway could bring a Super Bowl to fruition. He never stopped cheering. And we spent every Sunday afternoon in the basement watching the Broncos.
My husband and I were invited to a gala this past week. It was to honor a former Denver Bronco player who had made it his mission to make sure alumni of the Broncos (and everyone else) knew about heart disease. I was really looking forward to it, and told our friend that planned the shebang, that I'd love to meet this player. She said she'd make sure it happened.
As my husband and I were standing around, enjoying a glass of wine during the "go bid on the silent auction and spend a lot of money", she came up and said, "We've put you at our table, so we'll get a chance to chat more". We went up to the table, put down our placecards, and waited.
We were wondering who would be at our table, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was this player! He introduced himself to us, and said he looked forward to eating with us.
WHOA! Eating with us??
I realize what table she has put us at. I realize I'm sitting across from one of football's greats, and someone my dad loved watching play. I was a bit star struck. He was talking about games he'd played in, how he thought the Broncos would do this year, his opinion of the Raiders team now, among other things. I just listened. I was truly in awe.
An older gentleman sat down next to me, introduced himself and his wife. We did the introductions among ourselves, and about, oh, three minutes into it, I realize I'm sitting next to Coach Red Miller. (he was the Broncos coach before they brought in Dan Reeves) He was extremely wonderful. His wife was lovely. Again, I sat back and listened.
And then, I got a bit teary-eyed. I thought to myself how incredible it would have been to be able to have called my dad and told him who I'd met. More importantly, to have invited him along to this banquet. We bumped elbows with Billy Thompson, Haven Moses, Doug Widdel, Coach Miller, among others.
My dad would have been over the moon.
It was about then that I looked around the table. I thought back to my dad's funeral twelve years ago and how my mom insisted we leave one empty seat 'for my dad'. It was the only empty seat left in the gymnasium.
The night of the gala, we an extra seat at our table, and the last empty one in the room. I saw my dad sitting there, listening, laughing, and loving.
It was fantastic.

Name: Hot Dr's Wife!
Location: The Rockies
I am the wife of a surgeon, a mother of a three-year-old son, a sister to a redneck brother, the daughter of a dad I miss daily. Colorado native, raised on a ranch, been on a cattle drive and driven many combines. I am always barefoot, I love my friends, and I insist Happy Hour start at 5:00 pm and not a minute later.
Delve deeper...
Click here for more!
Location: The Rockies
I am the wife of a surgeon, a mother of a three-year-old son, a sister to a redneck brother, the daughter of a dad I miss daily. Colorado native, raised on a ranch, been on a cattle drive and driven many combines. I am always barefoot, I love my friends, and I insist Happy Hour start at 5:00 pm and not a minute later.
Delve deeper...
Click here for more!
Whole Milk Bong! Coming Right up!!
Mommy and Le Bug
Fallen Embers
Population You Plus Me, and then some.
California Dreamin' ..
Far Away From You
Finding Molly Ringwald
First Day of School
An Open Letter To the Woman Who Would Boil A Rabbit
50's Bullshit, INDEED!
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
A Day In the Life
A Likely Story
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Almost Infamous
Amusement From Above
Captain and Coke with a Lime
Cliz Biz
Confessions of a Geeky Blogger
Confessions of a Pioneer Woman
Crazy Mexican Girl
Crisis Intervention Summit
Dirk Mancuso
Elle the Pirate
Fang's Forum
Footprints On The Ceiling
For The Birds
Fresh Air Lover
Funky Brown Chick
Giant Walrus Noises
Hack City
I Am Emily xIt's Still All About Me
Joy Unexpected
Kav's Blog
Maigh.com
Margaritaville
not THAT different
Portland Ground
Post Secret
qPlog
Rosalicious
Shmeder
Spicy Cauldron
Stiletto
Squirrel, Please!
The Knicker Report
These Crazy Times
The Web Pen Blog
Welcome to Shonda-Land
Whatchu Tawkin Bout
Zube
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from hotdoctorwife. Make your own badge here.
I Miss You


