SURE!!
To begin with, we almost didn't make it to the local airport. Some asshole garbage truck driver on Pena Blvd didn't secure his load (mmm, jokes abound here) and crap went flying off the truck. HDHusband dodged it, pulled up along side and we both flipped him off. And The Bug was in 'a mood' heading to the airport. I suggested we consider sending him UPS to Kona. HDH agreed.
But once in Hawaii?
Lovely.
We had a week full of adventures. Stayed on the Big Island for the first few days. HDHusband had a meeting at a swanky-danky resort. They had a private-ish lagoon and beach you could swim at. Bug and I went out every morning for a swim, and one morning, happened to be the first ones out (time change kicking our ass and all). We were greeted by a few of the wild sea turtles out for their morning swim. Someone asked me if they scared the Bug, but considering his response was, "I need to kiss the turtle on the head!" - I think he was okay with them, just as they were with us.
A few shots of the lagoon:


On Sunday night, they had a reception for the guests of the meeting. They had a guy on hand to paint some tribal looking art. A few of the kids had their faces done and swear, they turned into crazy little Lord of the Flies creatures. Their shirts were off, they'd taken branches from trees and made this "me vs. you" kind of game. Hysterical, really, until I saw one pulling my kid into the "jungle" of palm trees and back into the darkness, and I threw down.
Oh, and that night, a bug the size of a SMALL CAR climbed up my pant leg. I kicked it off. And when I didn't see it on the ground, I realized it was climbing up the INSIDE of my pant leg. I screamed like a little girl.
We also packed up the car and drove to the other side of the island to see the volcano action. The Bug was sure we'd see dinosaurs while at the volcano (I'm guessing from Land Before Time movie?). We didn't see any of the flow, but the Bug loved the lava rock. In fact, he loved it so much, he picked out a necklace for me at a little roadside stand the next day.
While asking him which necklace to pick (between one with a turtle and one with a flower), Bug said, "Wava Wock!". I tried to guide him back to the other ones, he insisted, "No, mommy! This is a special one for the mommy!". So it was decreed ... my new favorite necklace:

OH!
And on the last day, Bug and I were standing in line, waiting to be seated for breakfast. A couple walks up behind us, and they have a small baby. I appropriately ooh and aah, Bug is very interested, we smile, say their baby is beautiful, and walk off.
As I'm sitting and eating, I look at this couple and think, "That guy looks familiar ... " and ponder it a bit. HDH shows up, and I say, "I think that guy over there is PyschoExGirlfriend's Ex Boyfriend?".
(After my husband broke up with PyschoEx, she immediately started dating this guy - who had been after her for awhile. They dated, got engaged, she called it off 20 minutes later, they tried to buy a house, that didn't work, they broke up, and she sent emails to her friends cc'-ing my husband into them, about why this guy sucked so bad)
Yup. It was this guy. With his beautiful wife and adorable baby. So, yeah. Total coinidence. And really, REALLY amusing to me. Very.
And then ... we got on a plane and went to Honolulu, Land Of A Billion Tourist and Broken Sewer Pipes and Overpriced Shit.
Part Two coming later. For now, I must go watch the Broncos crush the Raiders.
Labels: hawaii, part one vacation story, wava rock

Hawaii, Part One: Or, Wava Wocks!



