It must be hard being a dad, especially a dad to daughters.
I was hardly a rebel in school and was too afraid to do anything wrong. My dad was the school board president, member of the bank board, very involved in the church and the community. He was also a very cool guy. He loved Scotch and sodas, he was a diehard football fan, had an incredible moral compass and tried to install all of this on my brother and me. My brother is another story.
With all of that said, I remember when it came time to shave my legs for the first time. We had foreign exchange students at our house - a beautiful girl from Finland named Mirjia. She had the Joshua Tree album and shaved legs. I was in AWE. I remember listening to U2 and lying on the floor of her room, dreaming about this big world I'd never seen. Plus, I wanted those damn smooth legs, of course.
Next up was the great issue brought forth by Margaret - as in, "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" - Margaret. As in, The PERIOD. We young girls read the book and we waited, and we waited, and we waited. And nothing. Finally, for me , it came. Nothing really monumental about this except mom was so elated, she told me I didn't have to finish mowing the lawn. Worked for me. Pissed off my brother - even better.
But ... there came a time when I needed, um, 'supplies'. And mom's sanitary belt-boat napkins just weren't cutting it for me anymore. And ... I should add ... we lived about 2 miles from town. And I needed a ride in to the drugstore, and the only adult at the house was ... my dad.
My poor dad.
I told him I really needed to go to the drugstore - that it wouldn't take long. We load up in the pickup, and he says, "We can drop off the movie we rented after you're done". Fine. I go into the drugstore, all secretive, and buy my tampons. The clerk brown bags my purchase, and I go back to pickup.
Conversation with my dad down Main Street to Movie Store (all of two blocks):
Him: What's in the bag?
Me: Nothing.
Him: What's in the bag??
Me: NOTHING! LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE!!! GOSH!!
Him: silence
I see now, in retrospect, my poor father must have thought something was up. You know, I must be buying condoms or something. People, TAKE NOTE: if I had proof of just how ugly I was then, you'd know (just like me then) how impossible this feat would have been. Big ol' teeth, bad hair, bad skin, bad clothes, and not a chance in hell of a kiss goodnight anytime soon. (and it would be years before the infamous County Fair kiss)
When I finally excised myself from the situation and dropped off the movie for him, I came back to the pickup to find my dad, red-faced, and the brown bag mostly unrolled and obviously violated by my father's prying eyes. I was humiliated. I remember screaming and crying and totally over-reacting (uh, nothing new now, either). I remember him apologizing, too. And I remember telling him, "IF THERE IS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, I WILL TELL YOU!" But I meant it - and I kept my word.
I was a really, really good girl in high school. I didn't drink until I went to college. I had decent grades. I felt the Lord's Wrath if I lied or cheated. I played the piano for every church service and accompanied the choir. I taught Bible School. I believed in the Fire and Brimstone. Guilt. Guilt. Guilt. I still have the world's biggest guilt on my shoulders. I will feel guilty about ANYTHING. Therefore, I can say with certainty: I did NOT sneak out once.
I had the option my senior year in high school. Two boys from my high school class (we had a class of 19, with A LOT more girls than boys, mind you) showed up late, late one night at my bedroom window, begging to 'come inside and just, you know, TALK'. Well, the one did anyway. The other guy passed out in my mom's flower planter.
I told Jackass #1 to wait a second, that I had to make sure my parents were asleep ... then went upstairs and woke up my 6'5" 240 lb daddy. He met said Jackass with a shotgun, and told him to leave right that instant. He did. And told me last year at our class reunion just how scared he was that night. In truth, my dad was harmless. He was a good, honest man and he was trying to keep me honest, too. And he did. I told him the truth and he was on my side, always.
You know what they say: Daddies can own their daughters hearts. The rest of the guys? Well, they just rent space there ...

Name: Hot Dr's Wife!
Location: The Rockies
I am the wife of a surgeon, a mother of a three-year-old son, a sister to a redneck brother, the daughter of a dad I miss daily. Colorado native, raised on a ranch, been on a cattle drive and driven many combines. I am always barefoot, I love my friends, and I insist Happy Hour start at 5:00 pm and not a minute later.
Delve deeper...
Click here for more!
Location: The Rockies
I am the wife of a surgeon, a mother of a three-year-old son, a sister to a redneck brother, the daughter of a dad I miss daily. Colorado native, raised on a ranch, been on a cattle drive and driven many combines. I am always barefoot, I love my friends, and I insist Happy Hour start at 5:00 pm and not a minute later.
Delve deeper...
Click here for more!
I Love Statcounter
My Weekend (and boy, aren't you excited)
Say WHAT?
Maybe My Husband Knows Me After All?
HNT #3: Missing Shoes
HDHusband
Dear Blog Wednesday
A Not-So-Flattering (but funny!) Story About My Hu...
Indian Shorts
Tunnels and Ladybugs and Tired Momma, Oh My!
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
A Day In the Life
A Likely Story
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Almost Infamous
Amusement From Above
Captain and Coke with a Lime
Cliz Biz
Confessions of a Geeky Blogger
Confessions of a Pioneer Woman
Crazy Mexican Girl
Crisis Intervention Summit
Dirk Mancuso
Elle the Pirate
Fang's Forum
Footprints On The Ceiling
For The Birds
Fresh Air Lover
Funky Brown Chick
Giant Walrus Noises
Hack City
I Am Emily xIt's Still All About Me
Joy Unexpected
Kav's Blog
Maigh.com
Margaritaville
not THAT different
Portland Ground
Post Secret
qPlog
Rosalicious
Shmeder
Spicy Cauldron
Stiletto
Squirrel, Please!
The Knicker Report
These Crazy Times
The Web Pen Blog
Welcome to Shonda-Land
Whatchu Tawkin Bout
Zube
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from hotdoctorwife. Make your own badge here.
Dads


